What is love?
When I contemplate this question, I turn to one of my all-time favorite 90’s jams. Click here to pump up one of the greatest songs EVER.
I’ve got a busy day ahead, but in the spirit of this Hallmark holiday (and ’cause I’m coaching about self-care), I’m gonna practice some self-love. Today’s activities include:
- listening to What is Love? on repeat in my car
- indulging in 4 slices of fried bologna sandwiched between two slices of fresh butter-toasted Guyanese bread (thanks butter)
- channeling my inner Bob Ross to create happy trees on a canvas with my acrylic paints (thanks Bob and Micheal’s)
- drinking white wine while eating an economy-sized bag of kettle corn with Ken and watching Law & Order SVU (thanks Costco and NBC)
As you can see, loving up myself is simple. My small acts of kindness don’t require much time or flash (yep…nothing flashy about eating fried bologna), but it BRINGS ME SO MUCH JOY and helps me relax!!!! Since burning out isn’t cute and leaning into fun feels fabulous, here’s my question for ya:
How can you love up on yourself today?
If I were going to be a real Guyanese gyal, my question would sound more like, “How yuh guh love up pun yuhself?” but since you can’t hear my poor accent through the screen, I’ll redirect you to the big font above. If you’re feeling stuck, here’s my quick 3-step guide:
- Start by picking one thing that you could do to make you feel incredibly happy
- Then, do that thing ASAP or schedule that thing to happen later by blocking it in your phone calendar
- Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and lean into your love…Mmm mmm mmm, feels good, right?
Don’t wait, call 1-800-Love-Yourself now and I promise you’ll feel wonderful in no time. With love, Shanita
Published February 2019.